Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Mi fin de semana a La Playa Negra

(Jess and I on the bikes of DOOM)
Let me just say that La Playa Negra is the most amazing place in the world. It is a magically mix of Costa Rican and Carribean culture. La Playa Negra has black sand and a beautiful blue sea! The place that Jess, Jessica, Emily, Lorri, Ceceilia, and I stayed was amazing. It is called La Piscina Natural and it has an amazing owner named Walter. He is just a champion in life. Get on his level.



(A view from La Piscina Natural)


Friday night when we got there, we all went to a little restaurant called Reggae Bar that was near our hotel. It was nice and the food was really good. Then we headed to CoCo´s Bar to just hang out, and I conversed with 3 locals in ESPAÑOL for about 2 hours. Friday night was very chill and calm.

(Me at you guessed it... Reggae´s Bar)



Saturday was the day of activities. My day started out by breaking the showerhead right before I got in the shower, so Walter had to come and fix. Then since Jess and I could not get the taxi to answer us, we decided to bike to the Sloth Sanctuary. We asked a local and he told us, ¨Oh, it is a 30 minute bike to the bridge and then a 3 minute ride to the place.¨So Jess and I embarked on what we thought would be a pleasant bike ride... Then we got to the ¨highway¨and it was HOT. I am not talking ¨Ew, I am sweatyyyy¨hot, I am talking ¨I hope I do not drop off this bike and die from dehydration¨ hot. 45 minutes later we get to the bridge! We are the happiest that we have ever been. Then 10 minutes later, we start doubting that we found the bridge,and 5 minutes later we find a bride and a banana plantation (kind of cool). Then 15 minutes later we find the Sloth Sanctuary , Jess and I are ridiculously happy and pray that everything is worthwhile. After we angrily locked our bikes to whatever post we could find, we stumble up the stairs to the reception/gift shop area.

We are greeted by Jeff, our handsome sloth guide. His grandparents founded the reservation and it was cool. In case you are wondering, it was AMAZING. I got to touch slothS and see little baby sloths... One was named Oprah, it was an Oprah version of a sloth. After we were done, we agreed to take a taxi to the hotel. The lady at the Sloth Place, called a taxi for us and it was a pickup truck because we had to bring our bikes. It was an interesting ride and we made it home without any harm.

(Oprah, the sloth)

All of my friends and I ate dinner ate CoCo´s Bar. We ate these things called patacones. They are4 green plantain that are fried, smashed, and then fried again. It was the best.thing.ever. I am going to convince my mom to cook them when I get home. We made some interesting friends that night. We met a local named Joseph (pronounced Yo-seph), and 3 men that are studying to get their Masters´in EcoTourism or something like that. We nicknamed them Costa Rica, Mexico, and Texas. I danced with Mexico and Jospeh. It was so fun!! They showed me how to dance Latino style. Mexico went a little crazy with it and started slinging and twirling me around, so I sat back down. After dancing, I made up a secret handshake with a worker there and we agreed WHEN I come back and if he is still working there, we shall do it once more.

Let me just say relaxing and socializing at La Playa Negra was the greatest time I have ever had in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment